Dates for next school year are now available! To apply, prepare up to 5 preferred visit dates and prioritize your program choices.
Earthquakes: Predictions & Preparation (4th Grade)
How do scientists predict and prepare for Earthquakes?
Duration: Approximately 35 minutes
bet36体育在线真的吗In this live-presenter led show students take on the role of geologists by exploring patterns of Earthquakes in order to predict future movements in Earth's crust.
Using data-driven visualizations, and recent Earthquake maps, students take flight over the San Andreas fault to observe earthquakes from the past, including the 1906 Earthquake. Then, they make predictions about future tremblers. Finally, students explore how using this information can help scientists and engineers prepare society for a safer future.
This show is specially adapted for 4th grade standards, and portions are taken from the Morrison Planetarium show Earthquakes: Evidence of a Restless Planet.
Earthquake: Predictions & Preparation is scheduled on 2nd & 4th Thursdays between September - Februarybet36体育在线真的吗, starting at 10:30 am sharp.
bet36体育在线真的吗A total of 270 seats are available in each presentation, and seats are booked on a first-come, first-served basis as field trip applications roll in.
This show supports the following dimensions of the NGSS.
Disciplinary Core Ideas, Grade 4
ESS1.C: The History of Planet Earth
- Local, regional, and global patterns of rock formations reveal changes over time due to earth forces, such as earthquakes. The presence and location of certain fossil types indicate the order in which rock layers were formed. (4-ESS1-1)
ESS3.B: Natural Hazards
- A variety of hazards result from natural processes (e.g., earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions). Humans cannot eliminate the hazards but can take steps to reduce their impacts. (4-ESS3-2)
Crosscutting Concepts, Grade 4
- Patterns of change can be used to make predictions.
- Patterns can be used as evidence to support an explanation.
Stability & Change
- Change in measured in terms of differences over time and may occur at different rates.